Good evening everyone!
To make sure we keep everyone updated with all of the latest news regarding the cookie sale, I have some great updates for you today.
Social Media Violation Process
I have received a number of emails from concerned cookie parents and troop leaders that have witnessed others violating GSSNV’s and GSUSA’s social media sales and advertising policies. I wanted to let everyone know the process we are taking in resolving these complaints.
- First, before we can speak with a selling parent or volunteer about the violation, we need proof of the infraction. The best proof is a screen shot of the post on a social media site. Do not fear if you are the one supplying the evidence, we will make sure we remove all trace of where the image came from before we send it to the violator. Once we have that proof, we will issue a preliminary warning to the selling parent or volunteer. In many cases, the violator didn’t even know they were infringing on the policies and they are happy to do what it takes to comply. If they agree to remove the offending post and they do not post another one like it after this warning, the issue will be considered resolved.
- If they do not agree to take it down, or they violate the policies again after their first warning, I will issue them a second and final warning. Again, if they agree to remove the offending post and they do not post another one like it after the final warning, the issue will be considered resolved.
- Lastly, if they do not agree to remove the offending post, or they violate the policies a third time, GSSNV will impose penalties up to removing the selling parent or volunteer AND their Girl Scout(s) from the product program (Fall and Spring sales).
This is not something we ever want to do and will do everything in our power to work with the violator to avoid this outcome. That being said, the safety and security of our girl members is of utmost importance and these policies are in place to protect them.
How the Cookie Crumbles
Some volunteers may have Girl Scouts asking where the cookie money goes that we raise and this is an excellent question! It is amazing that our girls are thinking like business people and want to know how the sales they make are impacting not just themselves, but the entire council. For a look at “how the cookie crumbles,” check out this awesome graphic below:
If you are wondering how the premium cookies fit into this, the answer is simple, the increased cost of the cookies is covered by their increased price! After that, the higher production cost for the $6.00 cookies is exactly the same formula as the $5.00 cookies.
Some people have asked what the $2.62 per box sold is used for in the support and operation of the council. To see that in detail, you should definitely check out our published financial documents on our website: http://www.girlscoutsnv.org/en/about-girl-scouts/OurCouncil/financials.html. After a year ends, an external team audits our financials, then the audit is review by a volunteer audit committee, then the board approves the audited financials. Once they are approved by the board, they are posted on our website for all to see! We are still currently awaiting board approval for Fiscal Year 2017 financials, but will have them posted as soon as we can. The best part of all of this? All money raised in through the cookie sale or donations stays local here in Southern Nevada!
- The third and final round for booth selections opens at 7:00 pm this Friday, January 26, 2018. Again, that is 7:00 pm, not 7:00 am
- The Opt-out forms for Junior, Cadette, Senior, and Ambassador troops are due Friday, January 26, 2018 @ 11:59 pm. I will send notifications to anyone that HAS submitted a form by tomorrow (1/25). If you do not receive a notification from GSSNV that we’ve received your form by tomorrow, it may have been lost in translation and you should resend it on Friday (1/26) to make the deadline. If accepted, you will be notified of this by Friday 2/9/2018.
Again, we appreciate everything you all do to make this program the largest and most successful girl-led business in the world!
Yours in Scouting (and cookies!),
Director of Product Sales
Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada